[sw-l] Guidelines for Dictionary Editors ;-)

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Tue Oct 19 15:43:40 UTC 2004

There is also a move in any language towards a commonly accepted use of
former swear words as well as a corruption of formerly acceptable
words.  For instance, during the 1800's in America, an "idiot" was
someone with the IQ of a small child, an "imbecile" had a bit more
intelligence and a "moron" had the intelligence of a preteen.   It was
acceptable to use those terms in categorizing intelligence level.
Today, they have been relegated to the swear word category.   "Mentally
challenged" is quickly going that way today.
As my children have grown, I've heard (relatively speaking) them use
words that I would never even think of using around adults when I was a
child.  Calling someone "phat" apparently isn't a bad thing and to say
something is "shit", given the proper context, is to say that it's
good.  Also, in America, giving someone the finger, while retaining it's
bad connotation, is almost a rite of passage among young males - who
will exchange that sign between them without prejudice.
Of course, that brings us around to the idea that there are signs in
foreign languages that have bad connotations here and vice versa.  Are
we to shield young eyes from learning Japanese sign language because
their sign for older brother is offensive to some?

Bill