[sw-l] SWDB - Linguistic SignWriting Database

Antônio Carlos da Rocha Costa rocha at ATLAS.UCPEL.TCHE.BR
Wed Oct 20 14:27:58 UTC 2004

Hi,

   In a message recently posted, it was raised the question that
dictionaries are more than vocabularies, and Stephen suggested that we
could think about what features should be added to our current concept
of SignWriting dictionaries so they can become more complete dictionaries.

   Juliano Freitas is an undergraduate student of mine that has been
working on this subject since the beginning of the year.

   He defined a preliminary SWML format for such dictionaries, with
features that we could imagine without real help from linguists
specialized in sign languages.

   We are calling it SWDB - Linguistic SignWriting Database (but we are
not sure yet this is the best name).

   The SWML format, called SWDB, has been added to the SWML site

      http://swml.ucpel.tche.br

so you can check it. It's an XML schema, not a DTD, but it is shown as a
diagram. The diagram is in the PDF format.

   Juliano is not in this list, so I'm sending this message on his behalf.

   All the best,

   Antônio Carlos