[sw-l] UK: SignWriting Used in Two New Studies

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Wed Oct 20 19:52:24 UTC 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004, Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> quotes
Stacy Busek <stacycbusek at HOTMAIL.COM> as saying:

> Dear SW List Members, and all those from the UK, including Sandy and
> Trevor -
>
> What do you think of the two new studies using SignWriting in the UK?

If it helps me either to learn SignWriting or improve my BSL skills then
"it's a good thing". ;-)

> > I wonder if I could ask for some support for the final year
> > dissertation that I am about to embark on, the working title of which
> > is 'SignWriting: An Investigation into the benefits of promoting a
> > writing system for Sign Language users'

Stacey did you watch See Hear this week especially the interview with
Jonathan Rée? "Interesting" is all I'll say in public.

> > I  am a final year Undergraduate Linguistics and Psychology student
> > studying in Bristol, England, doing my final year dissertation in the
> > field of Linguistics.

You should be able to find material in your university library (or else in
the Centre for Deaf Studies) from the work that Bencie Woll et al did on
SignWriting back in the late 1990s.

> > ... Are there any
> > particular recent research papers which would merit being duplicated
> > at my level in order that I may be able to support the research?

Again contact with the Centre for Deaf Studies asking for access to the
notes from their study of SignWriting might give you a guide to the
literature and especially SignWriting's use with BSL.

You are luckier than me as your uni has a well established Deaf Studies
department this (very) mature student is in the first cohort of
Middlesex/CityLit's new Deaf Studies programme.

> > ... I sign BSL to level two and am fluent in Spanish (this I include
> > only for your knowledge, it may be of use in helping me to make this
> > decision).

There are some SignWriting advocates in Spain but I will let them identify
themselves.

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!