[sw-l] New Website

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Sun Oct 24 23:33:16 UTC 2004

Val,
We would be lightening the work by making lightning decisions.  ;-)
I think that webpage you posted has a common mispelling of
"lightning".   I consulted the online Merriam-Webster and Encyclopaedia
Britannica and both did not carry "lightening" as an alternative
spelling to "lightning".  However, in consulting a hardbound copy of
Webster's, one definition of "lightening" was "to flash as or like
lightning".  That doesn't, however, equate it to lightning, itself.
Rather, it equates it to lightning's effect.
This is an interesting question, as it brings forth the whole concept of
using dictionaries to resolve literary questions.  Once Signwriting
dictionaries reach that level of sophistication, an increase in literacy
wouldn't be far behind.

Bill