[sw-l] New Website

Mon Oct 25 14:40:47 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
October 25, 2004

Dear Bill and Everyone -
Thank you for you interesting email below...Want my real
opinion?...smile..I think the current accepted spellings for many
English words are out-of-date and should be officially changed...Like
the word LIGHT. That word stems from the way people used to say the
word, hundreds of years ago. The reason there is a GHT, is that the
word LIGHT used to be pronounced in English, more like the German word
LICHT...maybe not exactly the same, but with some similarities. And so
the spelling LIGHT stems from a different pronunciation. Then spoken
English changed, but we never updated our spellings to match the way we
pronounce things...Other languages have...German has a more up-to-date
spelling system that is more closely tied to the way modern words are
pronounced...so why can't English?...Well...I cannot solve that
question...If I were spelling it, I would spell LITE or something
similar...So that is why I believe letting the Editors of the
dictionaries do what is best for them, regarding their spoken
languages. Hopefully the SignSpellings will be more up to date than
English - ha! If Editors request feedback on their SignWriting entries
in their dictionary, I will be happy to help with that on the
List...that is a fun way to share information and discuss
SignSpellings...but only if I am invited...smile...I look forward to
more SignWriting on the List in the future...all these spoken language
messages are not nearly as interesting - ha! So if you find a sign in
our ASL dictionary that you do not agree with, please tell us...and
then suggest another spelling for the sign itself...all in SignWriting,
Bill. Our ASL dictionary is:

ASL Online Dictionary
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-US

Val ;-)