[sw-l] SWDB - Linguistic SignWriting Database

Bill Reese wreese01 at TAMPABAY.RR.COM
Mon Oct 25 15:45:14 UTC 2004

Dan,

The implementation of which symbol is closer to the visual perception of
the reader (in front of or on top of), would seem to need an editing
capability similar to graphics, where one object can be brought to the
front or moved to a place over or under another object.  Since the
editing capability would be independent of the sequential placement of
the sign, it would seem that both of your suggestions would be needed.
That there be a sequential order and that there be a z attribute.

In considering this placement of symbols, I looked at the execution of
signs and I began to think that some signs start with the symbol that
will be on the front z-layer.   Therefore a sequential spelling of those
signs that follow their execution would end up with the symbols on the
wrong z layer - if each symbol is placed in front of a previous symbol.

This leads me to the idea of using a key, such as the shift key, for
z-layering.  Normal placement of a symbol would be on the top z-layer
and using the shift key would place the symbol under the previous symbol.

Bill