[sw-l] IMWA size and transparency

Stephen Slevinski slevinski at SIGNWRITING.ORG
Tue Oct 26 13:42:19 UTC 2004

Hi Val and list,

SIZE
If the IMWA is going to represent the new standard, then the size of the
symbols must stay the same.  Size matters when a program places one symbol
with another.  If you change the size of the symbols by trimming the white
space around the symbols, then signs in the Sign Puddle dictionary will not
load properly in SignMaker.

So I would say, don't change the size of the symbols.  But if you do change
the size, do it now and never again.

TRANSPARENCY
Transparency needs to be part of the IMWA symbols.  If you look at symbol
01-09-026-01-02-01 (attached), what part of the symbol should be
transparent.  The fill for the palm should not be transparent, but what
about the space between the fingers?

Transparency for the IMWA requires that the symbol is understood.  A program
can not do that.

So I would say that the current IMWA is working fine.  It would be nice to
have a version of the IMWA with the transparency done properly.  And once
that is done, I can recreate all of the signs in Sign Puddle using the BLD
formats.  But that is not required right now.

THIN BORDER
The thin border around the symbols may be a nice addition.  Would the thin
border only be used for hand shapes?  But once this is added, the z-order of
the symbols becomes even more important.  It would require an additional
compenent when typing, or it would change the order in which symbols were
typed.

My 2 cents,
-Stephen