[sw-l] British Sign Language Flag in SignPuddle

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Sep 8 20:45:50 UTC 2004

Sandy,

Quebecois Sign Language is also used in Canada (different sign language), so it's kind of hard to pick a single flag for ASL, but "American Sign Language" was created in the USA.

It would be interesting to find out which schools teach what language in Northern Ireland.  Do the Catholic parochial schools specialize in Irish Sign Language, and the Protestant parochial schools specialize in BSL?  With a National educational system in both Ireland and the United Kingdom, we'd have to ask which languages are taught where by those there.

Charles Butler

Sandy Fleming <sandy at FLEIMIN.DEMON.CO.UK> wrote:
Trevor,

I believe they use both BSL and ISL there according to whether they're
catholic or protestant, though due to politics it's not easy to make out
exactly what the truth is.

Anyway, why use the flag of the USA for ASL? It's the usual sign language in
Canada too, isn't it?

Sandy