[sw-l] How to manage a SignPuddle dictionary

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Sat Sep 25 14:03:14 UTC 2004

I like your thoughts on several levels of security.  As the current most heavy contributor to the Brazilian sign language dictionary (from my research with SignNet), I would welcome other dialects into the dictionary, as long as they are clearly marked.

As an editor, I do need to be able to review the signs.

Charles Butler

Stephen Slevinski <slevin at PUDL.INFO> wrote:
Hi List,

I'd like to discuss how to manage the Sign Puddle dictionaries. Here is an
overview of what I'm thinking about. Each dictionary would have three
levels of security.

Level 1: Contributors
Contributors can add new signs and edit existing signs. Every sign change
is marked for review. Contributions can be open to the public, or
restricted to a specific group of password protected users. This can be
defined by dictionary.

Level 2: Editors
Editors can review changes made by contributors. They can either approve of
the changes, or undo the changes and restore the dictionary. Editors can
also delete and rename signs.

Level 3: Administrators
Administators manage who is an editors and who is a contributors.

-------------------

I think this design will keep the open feel of the dictionary and help the
actual users manage their dictionaries with confidence.

The question becomes who chooses the administators and editors? If problems
arise, we can always create more than one dictionary for any sign langauge.
In theory, we could have the "ASL general dictionary" open to the public and
also have the "Pittsburgh ASL dictionary" that only accepts contributions
from a specific group. This could be a crude way to handle dialects. I'm
not saying we should, just that we could.

Thoughts, ideas, comments?

Thanks for your time,
-Stephen
---