[sw-l] Sign Language Codes

Mon Sep 27 16:59:32 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 27, 2004

Sign Language Codes continued...

So in Canada, there are two official signed languages:

French-Canadian Sign Language
(in the French-speaking region of Canada)

and...

American Sign Language
(in the English-speaking region of Canada)

I know we have French-Canadian members of the SignWriting List too...so
please feel free to correct me if I have said anything that is not
correct!

And regarding Belgium and Switzerland...

Flemish Sign Language
(Dutch speaking region of Belgium)

Belgian-French Sign Language
(I am not sure of the official name of this sign language)
(French speaking region of Belgium)

Swiss-German Sign Language
Swiss-French Sign Language
Swiss-Italian Sign Language

So there are multiple signed languages in these countries...and each
unique signed language must have a country code and a language code,
but they cannot be the same as other languages within that country...

Continued next message -