[sw-l] Re: Country and Language Codes, and standardization with ISO

Mon Sep 27 17:57:52 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 27, 2004

Stephen Slevinski wrote:
> Also with CHde-SGN, CHde is not a country code.

Regarding CH-de or CHde...that is a country-regional code...it is a
combination of the country code CH for Switzerland, with the de as the
region of the country that speaks German...that is how the regional
languages are coded in the ISO standards for spoken languages, and now
they are applied to the three signed languages of Switzerland...at the
moment we only have Swiss-German Sign Language registered officially,
but I hope to find the funds to pay for the registration of more signed
languages later, and one of them will be French-Swiss Sign
Language...you can see the Swiss-German Sign Language was registered in
2001...