[sw-l] A spock handshape?

Wed Sep 29 17:06:45 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 29, 2004

Signuno wrote:
> Quick question.  I'm looking for the SSS number of
> this handshape:
> 5-hand, pinkie+ring together, middle+index together.
> ( Image at http://geocities.com/signuno/e2_et.gif )

Dear SW List, Signuno and Charles -
The handshape you are requesting is not in the IMWA version 1.0, but it
can be inserted, and it will be, in version 2.0.

Here is important information. You can get an entire listing of all
IMWA symbols in a PDF document.

Download this document:

IMWA version 1.0
http://www.SignWriting.org/archive/docs2/sw0160-sss2004-IMWA.pdf

Go to page 8. At the top you will find the handshape named FlatSplit
Center. (see attached screen capture)

FlatSplit Center has this number: 01-05-018-01-02-01. The fourth number
in that row of numbers (after 018) is 01. It stands for Variation 01.
That is the first variation of that handshape.

Your new symbol, with the thumb out, will be called FlatSplit Center
with Thumb, and it will be 01-05-018-02-02-01 (Variation 02).

Until your new symbol is added to the IMWA, I hope you will use the
current Variation 01 instead, since it is the closest number and will
help you later, when sorting by SSS...

Hope this helps!  Val ;-)