[sw-l] SWML-S export for Sign Puddle

Stuart Thiessen sw at PASSITONSERVICES.ORG
Wed Sep 29 19:15:02 UTC 2004

Well, I am not sure if lunch is an example of multiple signs using the
same gloss. I would consider that more an example of a composite sign
(i.e. a concept expressed by more than one sign).  I have a suggestion
on how that could be handled.

I wonder if you could do something like this:

<sign gloss="lunch" composite="yes">
    <include gloss="eat>
    <include gloss ="noon">
</sign>

Then eat could look like this:

 <signbox gloss="eat" composite="no">
  <symbol x="4",y="12">01-01-001-01-01-01</symbol>
  <symbol x="12",y="42">04-01-001-01-01-01</symbol>
 </signbox>

The use of a "composite" attribute and some kind of insert element could
allow for composite signs. Then the computer can arrange the signs
horizontally or vertically depending on context. If however there are
some things that happen in the transition between the signs that make up
that composite sign, then maybe it will still be best to keep it all in
one signbox and just note somewhere that this sign is derived from these
composite signs, but when actually produced, some different things
happen.  A classic example is the use of the "PERSON" suffix in ASL.
Depending on the sign before it, PERSON can be two handed or one handed.
For example, PASTOR (PREACH+PERSON) is generally done one-handed, but
TEACHER (TEACH+PERSON) is generally done two-handed. They are composite
signs, but TEACHER is probably a better candidate for a composite sign
like I describe above.  PASTOR probably should not be treated as a
composite sign.  Make sense?

The issue of multiple signs using the same gloss is for example the word
"run".

You might say I have a run in my hose, I am running a program, I am
running a marathon, I am running a motor, I am running behind, I have a
runny nose.  Those might all be glossed with run simply because that is
the English association.

That is where if I am using the word "run", the computer should be able
to show all the signs that have been glossed as "run" and then we can
choose which one fits this context.  This is where glossing runs into
trouble because the semantic domains of specific words between two
languages do not necessary cover the same territory.

Thanks,

Stuart