[sw-l] SWML-S export for Sign Puddle

Stephen Slevinski slevin at PUDL.INFO
Wed Sep 29 19:18:25 UTC 2004

Hi Charles,

Someday, you will be able to put multiple names in the "Name of sign" field.
This will create several entries in the dictionary.  But not yet.

The definition field is for a text definition for the sign.

-Stephen
  -----Original Message-----
  From: owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
[mailto:owner-sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu]On Behalf Of Charles Butler
  Sent: Wednesday, September 29, 2004 12:33 PM
  To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
  Subject: RE: [sw-l] SWML-S export for Sign Puddle

  Ah, Steven, does this mean that I can list multiple names under
"definition" comma delimited?  It would save a lot of time.  I'd been
putting "definitions" as "English" definitions rather than Portuguese in the
Brazilian sign language dictionary, but conceivably it would be better to
have, for example"

  rapaz-1 and have as meaning "menino, moca, rapaz" all of which are
different Portuguese words for lad, boy, male youth, etc.

  is that what you mean by this response.

  Charles

  Stephen Slevinski <slevin at PUDL.INFO> wrote:
    Hi Antônio Carlos,

    The ASL (sgn-US) sign for lunch is a combination of "eat" and "noon".
This
    is an example of multiple signs being represented by a single gloss.
Using
    a signbox would look like:

    01-01-001-01-01-01
    04-01-001-01-01-01

    01-01-001-01-01-01
    04-01-001-01-01-01

    This sign can be correctly displayed for horizontal or verticle writing.

    This type of gloss doesn't work with Sign Puddle. The sign will not
display
    correctly in verticle writing if the sign is entered into the dictionary
    horizontally. (and vice versa)

    The combination sign should not be entered, and the individual parts
should
    be entered. When using the translation, the individual glosses should be
    used. So "eat noon" should be used to get the correct ASL for lunch. I
    would assume that the sign for "lunch" in Sign Puddle would be the
    efficiency L to the chin; a single sign.

    This is another design flaw for Sign Puddle: One gloss to one sign. The
    actual relationship is "many glosses to one sign" and as you correctly
point
    out "one gloss to many signs".

    BTY, SWML-S can handle "many glosses to one sign". The gloss parameter
for
    the sign element accepts a comma seperated list.

    -Stephen