[sw-l] An interesting article on Sequoyah.

Thu Sep 30 22:59:43 UTC 2004

SignWriting List
September 30, 2004

Dear SW List, and Charles, and Mr. Cobb:
Thank you for this nice message (see below). And I blushed a little,
when you compared me to Sequoyah. That is very kind of you, although we
all know there are differences between the histories...Charles has been
working with SignWriting since the early 1980's I believe, isn't that
right, Charles? smile...so we both have seen the ups and downs that
occurs in the beginning of all writing systems...It has been quite a
journey, hasn't it? And it isn't over yet! As we discussed
yesterday....smile...I appreciate your patience with me and all these
new developments...In time it will settle down and become accepted and
then everyone will look back and say "yes"...those were the days...!
;-)

Sequoyah is certainly credited as the inventor of the written form for
the Cherokee Language. I didn't realize there was such a long history
behind him, in the writing of the Cherokee language, which just goes to
show how history has many sides to it, that we oftentimes don't grasp
at first glance...

SignWriting, Braille and the Cherokee syllabus all have one thing in
common...people know of a name of a person connected to the
development. Most written forms for languages evolve without one
specific person behind it...like written English...who invented the
Roman alphabet? No one knows. But Braille, although first developed by
a member of the French army, was then developed further by a blind
teacher named Louis Braille. So we know his writing system as
Braille...And all three writing systems had people against it in the
beginning. I had understood that it took Sequoyah about 25 years to get
it established, and SignWriting is 30 years old this year.

There are several write-ups about these comparisons on the web...and
thank you, Charles, for your kind message ;-)  Val ;-)

-----------------

Why Has SignWriting Been Controversial?
... The Cherokee Indian chief, named Sequoyah, was a brilliant man who
decided
  it was time that their language become a written language. ...
  www.signwriting.org/about/questions/quest021.html

SignWriting Email List 15
... We discussed the history of Sequoyah, the Cherokee Indian Chief who
invented the
  writing system for the Cherokee Indian Language in the early 1800's.
  www.signwriting.org/forums/email/email015.html

Why Write Sign Language?
... Sequoyah of the Cherokee Tribe in the United States recognized
that, in the modern
  world (over a 100 years ago), a language had to have a written form.
  www.signwriting.org/about/questions/quest0003.html - 23k

Silent News, March 1999
... Sutton points to a Cherokee Indian chief, Sequoyah, who in the
early 1800s fought
  to do the same thing she is doing, and succeeded: "(He invented) the
written ...
  www.signwriting.org/library/ journal/silentnews/sw217.html - 9k

SignWriting List Forum
... they decided to use Sequoyah's alphabet, and now the Cherokee
Indian language is
  preserved for future generations. > >Interesting, I didn't know about
this. ...
  www.signwriting.org/forums/ swlist/archive2/message/629.html - 5k

SignWriting List Forum
... The Cherokee Indian chief Sequoyah, who invented the written form
for his native
  spoken language, was also surrounded by controversy for 25 years. ...
  www.signwriting.org/forums/ swlist/archive2/message/639.html - 6k

SignWriting List Forum
... have the internet - ha! Wasn't that an amazing story about Sequoyah
convincing
  the jurors to learn to read and write?! It is really ...
  www.signwriting.org/forums/ swlist/archive2/message/643.html - 5k