[sw-l] Signs for SWITZERLAND

Sun Apr 3 01:58:23 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 2, 2005

On Apr 2, 2005, at 11:51 AM, Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> some deaf people around say they prefer the 1st version we had of
> ROMAND (adding left hand)... some do prefer this one......
> and there are even some deaf people that say we should write /Suisse
> France/ or /Suisse français/...
> I don't know what to answer!! keep this one!!!  there will always be
> people that aren't happy about the one we'll choose!

Yes, you are right that people sign things differently and in this case
you can't win...So if you are happy with the attached we will keep it!

Actually it means that I have to change several signs for SWITZERLAND
on my different web sites because before now, I was writing the cupped
fingers with the fingers down instead of up, for the cup...as you know
both are correct technically, but Ingvild pointed out to me that there
is a psychology to having the fingers up rather than down...that it is
a more positive feeling...which I had never thought of before...so now
we are all agreed the fingers shall be up...but I haven't changed all
the signs on my sites yet...in time I will get to it, but meanwhile
they are not wrong from a technical point of view...Any white palm to
the chest means that the palm faces the chest no matter which direction
of the fingers...