[sw-l] using SignWriting to index Stokoe's dictionary

Trevor Jenkins trevor.jenkins at SUNEIDESIS.COM
Tue Apr 5 18:09:29 UTC 2005

On Tue, 5 Apr 2005, Kimberley A. Shaw <kshaw at wellesley.edu> wrote:

> I wonder if anybody has ever tried to translate Stokoe's notation into SW
> so that his famous dictionary of ASL can be more easily used ... ??

I'm seriously considering doing that for the BSL/English dictionary, which
also uses Stokoe notation. Though for an exercise I'm working on the signs
given in the new (BSL) Sign Language for Judaism glossary that Sandy
mentioned a few days ago.

> Or, I bet one could make a Signwritten index to find the Stokoe signs by,
> probably easier than producing the ASL-English dictionary from scratch!

Useful idea. Not thought of that. Have create a list of the English
glosses given for some of the BSL signs because the English list is
incomplete. Lots of effort went into the BSL/English dictionary but by the
time it was published it was already getting to be out of date. Now almost
15 years after the project started it is really out of date.

> Has anyone that you know of tried such a thing?

Regards, Trevor

<>< Re: deemed!