[sw-l] question on a sign notation

Wed Apr 6 02:11:18 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 5, 2005

Anne-Claude Prélaz Girod wrote:
> the sign starts with an "A" handshape and end with a "S" handshape...
> and in between these 2 positions... the fingers open one after the
> other (in the middle of the movement all fingers are open like in a
> "5" handshape.... and then close successively to end up in the S
> position... the sign is made on the palm of left hand...

Hello Everyone, and Anny!
Thanks for this question. What a lovely and intricate sign! And you
certainly are close to writing it well...but I will analyze this
carefully with you, and then you can choose between several possible
spellings...

When I read the attached sign, this is what I see:

1. The sign begins with the A handshape touching the left wrist.
2. The fingers then open one by one, starting with the thumb and
finishing with the baby finger...this would mean that all five fingers
should now be stretched open in a five hand...
3. But then somehow it ends in the S hand touching the left fingertips

so this SignSpelling doesn't quite work for me...I am not sure how to
read it at the end ...next message I will read your second
version...this is fun...continued next message... ;-))