[sw-l] using SignWriting to index Stokoe's dictionary

Wed Apr 6 16:03:26 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 6, 2005

On Apr 6, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Kimberley A. Shaw wrote:
> Hello Stuart, Val & all:
> aha! Am halfway there ... got several signs when searching a plain "c"
> hand in SignPuddle ASL -- but the signs for "search" or "strange" were
> not
> among them, however, which *I* find strange! What would keep a search
> from
> catching these signs? And what the heck does "fill" mean?
> Best,
> Kim

---------------------

Hello Kim -
I am happy to answer your questions. But you will have to be
patient...ok?

Fill is a technical term. SignWriting shows palm facing and some other
details, by filling the handshape with dark or light. The back of the
hand is dark, for instance, and the palm of the hand is white. So when
a symbol is in the SignBox....

1. click on the Fill Key to change to the palm facing you want to
search for
2. click on Fill Match
3. click on Search

See attached diagram...follow the numbers...