[sw-l] Your assistance in a feature on SignWriting

Cathy H cathyh at BDA.ORG.UK
Tue Apr 19 17:18:16 UTC 2005

Hello

My name is Cathy Heffernan and I am the editor of SIGNMatters, the
British Deaf Association's monthly magazine. We are doing a feature on
SignWriting in the June edition and I'd really appreciate it if some of
you could take the time to answer some of the below questions. Any other
comments would be very welcome and if anyone is interested in writing
something for the feature themselves, just get in touch.

SignWriting - questions
what it is for
why it was developed
how it was developed
who uses it and why
is SignWriting linked to a particular sign language (like BSL, ASL) or
is it  the same world-over?
Does SignWriting follow the same grammatical word order and phoenetic
sequence as whatever sign language it represents?
Is SignWriting only suitable in certain situations or can it be used to,
say, write an email?
What does the European Symposium set out to achieve?

As I am working to deadline I would really appreciate it if you can
email back by the end of this week or mid-next week.

Hope to hear from you soon!
Best regards
Cathy Heffernan
Editor