[sw-l] UK: SIGNMatters Magazine...Your assistance in a feature on SignWriting

Tue Apr 19 18:26:43 UTC 2005

SignWritng List
April 19, 2005

Cathy H wrote:
> 2. why it was developed?

Signed languages are beautiful languages and they deserve to be
written, preserved and respected.

Why are you and I using the English alphabet right now, in this email
message? So we can communicate in writing...it brings us closer
together.

But BSL and other signed languages are not English..and they deserve to
be written too...because some people are native to BSL, not English,
and they need a way to write down their native signed language...It can
be helpful when learning other languages, to have a written form for
your own language...

There are some who argue that signed languages do not need to be
written! No language has to be written - but when we do, we all are
richer for it.

SignWriting was not designed  to replace any language or writing
system. It was developed to provide a written form for hundreds of
languages that did not  have any written form before. And some Deaf
people and signers  benefit from writing their native Sign Language,
which is very  different than any spoken language.

Reading and writing makes  it easier to learn other languages, it
preserves the history  and traditions of the culture, and it has a
profound influence  on the rest of the world. When a language is
written, it places  it on an equal footing with other written
languages, which brings  the language attention and respect. Through
this process, those  who use the language learn about their own
culture. They see themselves in a new positive light.

And this is true for  Deaf people who use a Sign Language too. Some are
born into Deaf  families that use a Sign Language at home. Learning to
read and  write their native language is a help to them, and can give
them  a feeling of pride.