[sw-l] UK: SIGNMatters Magazine...Your assistance in a feature on SignWriting

Tue Apr 19 19:04:29 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 19, 2005

On Apr 19, 2005, at 10:18 AM, Cathy H wrote:
> is SignWriting linked to a particular sign language (like BSL, ASL) or
> is it  the same world-over?

No. It is used by 30 signed languages...like the Roman alphabet is used
to write many spoken languages...SignWriting symbols are generic and
can be used to write the body movements of any signed language...

> Does SignWriting follow the same grammatical word order and phoenetic
> sequence as whatever sign language it represents?

Although it is up to the writer to write the grammar they know, it is
hoped that in time, with a written form, signed languages will develop
rules for writing grammar within their own signed languages...We do
have some articles on the web on how to write ASL grammar, for
instance...

So SignWriting is just a bunch of symbols...and the writers have to
apply those symbols to writing their language...

This means that we "can" write Signed English, but most people are
trying to write the grammar of BSL or other signed languages...

> Is SignWriting only suitable in certain situations or can it be used
> to, say, write an email?

YES! We can send email in SignWriting! You can right now!

Got to this web page to send email in SignWriting in BSL...

http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-GB/email.php

> What does the European Symposium set out to achieve?

Organizing committee members need to answer this question...Kathleen,
Ingvild, Stefan, Shane, Trevor?....

> As I am working to deadline I would really appreciate it if you can
> email back by the end of this week or mid-next week.

I did my best today - Hope this has helped!