[sw-l] ITALY...Hi, I have some questions...

Tue Apr 26 22:01:03 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 26, 2005

Barbara Pennacchi from Italy wrote:
> I'm Barbara, a Deaf technician, currently working with other Deaf
> people in Rome (Italy) in a small project to learn SignWriting and
> then to start using it for transcribing signed narratives. Then the
> project took a life on its own. As Valerie Sutton may know, there is a
> translation in Italian of her original SW manual (made as a degree
> thesis by an italian student), but the examples in it were still in
> ASL language. Now, my group's looking for Italian Sign Language
> examples...

Hello Barbara, Elena and others working with Italian Sign Language...
Nice to see your message on the SignWriting List, Barbara....I was
wondering when you would start to ask questions!

I will answer your long message question by question, but before I
start, may I ask, do you and Elena know about SignPuddle? It is a
wonderful tool and I have the Italian Sign Language dictionary section
waiting for you to use it...and I can train you step by step, how to
create your own Italian Sign Language dictionary in SignWriting, and
teach you how to write one sign after the other, until you become
skilled. And you can then use those signs to illustrate your Lessons in
SignWriting textbook in Italian Sign Language.

To visit your empty Italian dictionary waiting for you...go to this web
page:

Italian SignPuddle on the Web
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-IT

So as soon as you feel ready, I can walk you through, step by step, how
to create your first sign in SignWriting there, and you will see it is
much easier than using DOS or Java at the moment...

I am sure you know that Penny's research group in German-Switzerland is
using SignPuddle for their SignWriting research now too?...