AW: [sw-l] Which SignSpelling is best?

Fri Apr 29 18:15:06 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie - and all

Valerie wrote ...

... "Spellings are strange, because our brains memorize one spelling and
after awhile, even if a more logical one comes along, we still read the
original spelling faster...this is true for all spoken languages too, I
believe..."

Well there is another aspect of this phenomenon ...

I bet that every scribe gets used to his/her written signs - although if
they are not in line with the given rules --

I remember that I had been lucky to ask the Parkhursts for a feedback of my
first documents ... and they pointed out to me that I had lots of
misspellings because I misunderstood the meanings of the head movements -
and several other symbols ;-((((
(It never came to my mind - because I performed the movements the way I
interpreted my description  --- and my students did as well because I
misinformed them -- later we changed and fixed as many signs as possible -
smile ) I was astonished that my students accepted this new spelling without
any astonishment.

And as I said nobody is perfect and there will always be typos - and I feel
very happy if any reader asks for additional explanations of my spellings
and wow - if this is because a misspelling I am wondering why my brain did
not warn me before - because after this discussion it became so obvious.
(smile)

Sometimes there are rule violations in order to allow a better visual
impression. We discussed these exceptions some years ago. I am still
studying this aspect.

Sometimes I do not know whether a sign is written "ignoring" spelling rules
intentionally or just by accident.

Ha - Valerie - what about your spelling of "perfect" in Goldilocks Level 3
page 18, 22, 26 "  This kind of discussion is just for fun - but it is fun -
because L.I.F.E

Do you agree Tini ?

Stefan ;-))))