[sw-l] ITALY...Editors, Spellings and No Underscores ;-)

Fri Apr 29 14:29:49 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
April 29, 2005

Barbara Pennacchi wrote:
> Given two different signspellings in signpuddle, how does one know
> which one is the most used? From the point of view of a SignPuddle
> user (one that browses through it), it is relatively easy to see at
> one glance two different signspellings and choose one. But from the
> point of view of someone pouring signs in the SignPuddle, how does
> s/he know which signspellings are clicked/chosen more than others?

We do not have the program programmed to tell you how many clicks,
Barbara. I am talking about later, after you have added maybe 500
signs, you can share the 500 signs in SignPuddle with your team, and
with other Italians who use SignPuddle and ask them what spelling feels
better...Plus, when they create SignWriting documents, you can see
which spellings they have chosen...that's all...

But if you and the two other editors for the Italian SignPuddle start
getting lots of signs in there, then you can say to the List...see this
spelling and that spelling...which one would you all choose...and we
can all tell you what we would do...usually the most simplified
spelling rules...

So let's get writing...

By the way, the two other Italian Editors for the SignPuddle are:

Chiara Vettori
cvettori at eurac.edu
Chiara.Vettori at eurac.edu

and

Marco Consolati
bigmark at mclink.it

They have not entered any signs however, yet...so you are the first...

> If it would be possible know that users of SignPuddle tend to choose
> some kinds of signspellings more than others, it might help editors in
> the task of inserting other signs.

Barbara - One important point - Please do not use any underscores in
the names you give the signs in SignPuddle...not only for numbering but
also when you want to put a dash between two words...be sure to put a
real dash and not an underscore...SignPuddle 1.0 cannot search on any
name that has an underscore...so there are two signs in your SignPuddle
right now that have to be renamed to have dashes instead of
underscores...

How do you rename your signs?...Go to Dictionary Editors section (click
on icon)...and scroll down to login with your name and password...then
scroll back up and search for the sign you want to change, and then
rename it and press the rename button...

Then you might have to refresh the screen to get the change to show up,
but it is there when you return to your dictionary later...

See the two signs I mean attached... they should be
aprire-cancello...the underscores in the definitions don't matter,
because we are not searching on that text...although it would be better
not to use underscores anywhere...