[sw-l] Which SignSpelling is best?

AdamFrost icemandeaf at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Apr 30 00:09:16 UTC 2005

I would actually like the first one just for the sheer reason that it is easier to see that the hand faces the chest from the wall view rather than the top view. Because with the top view, the reader must mentally do two palm facing shifts - as I would call it, but I don't know if that is an accurate term for it.
Adam

-----Original Message-----
From: "Valerie Sutton" <sutton at signwriting.org>
Date: 04/29/05 10:12 AM
To: sw-l at majordomo.valenciacc.edu
Subject: [sw-l] Which SignSpelling is best?

SignWriting List
April 29, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> I would prefer the first one (although there is this shift in
> perspective
> from front view to top view -) I got used to it but do not care if the
> sign is written the other way.

So all three of us...Stefan, Stuart and Val...agree. I am glad to know
this, Stefan, because I thought you felt we should not switch
viewpoints within one sign if it can be avoided...and suddenly I
realized that could mean a lot of spellings would have to be changed...

Spellings are strange, because our brains memorize one spelling and
after awhile, even if a more logical one comes along, we still read the
original spelling faster...this is true for all spoken languages too, I
believe...

These words brought to you by Ogo.  Find out more at www.ogo.com