Elliptical circle vs. True circle

Mon Aug 1 16:11:51 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 1st, 2005

Hello Stuart, Charles and Everyone!
This discussion is really about "how to write verb modulations in
ASL". Verbs, in ASL, change their movement, depending on their
meaning. In English, regarding verbs in English, we call that "verb
conjugations"...like...I go. You go. He goes. He went. He will go. He
has gone etc....

American Sign Language has lots of verb conjugations, but they are
different than English...very different!

We are actually quite skilled at writing those verb modulations or
changes in ASL...Since the 1980's we have done various documents with
this information, but that was before computers, and so those
documents are not on the web at the moment...In time I hope to post
them, but as you can see, there is so much to do, that it may not
happen immediately.

Therefore, I will now write some verb-modulations in ASL in
SignPuddle and I will tell you when they are ready to view. I found
another book that I worked with, years ago, called "American Sign
Language, a student text, Units 19-27 (advanced book)..." by Dennis
Cokely and Charlotte Baker, affectionately called the "Green Book" in
our DAC workplace back in the 1980's! The Green Book was published in
1981 by T.J. Publishers.

In the Green Book, they use the diagrams of Frank Allen Paul, just as
Ursula's books did. Frank and I worked together on SignWriting
illustrations, years ago, before he died. I will write to T.J. to see
if we could get permission to post some of Frank's drawings from the
Green Book, that fit with these verb modulations, to illustrate the
SignWriting of them...I will tell you what happens!

This will be fun!

Val ;-)