Sign for British Sign Language in BSL?

Sandy Fleming sandy at SCOTSTEXT.ORG
Sat Aug 6 10:12:13 UTC 2005

Valerie Sutton wrote:

> SignWriting List
> July 14, 2005
>
> Dear SW List -
> I am completing a new web posting about Great Britain and all the new
> developments for SignWriting there. Just as soon as I am done I will
> be back on the List to answer your questions ;-)

It looks great, Val, thanks!

> Anyone know the sign for British Sign Language in BSL? If you do,
> please write it in the Great Britain SignPuddle - Many thanks!  Val ;-)

I've been watching out for this ever since you mentioned it, but
although there are many inflections on the sign for "signing" in BSL,
I'm afraid the signers I know and on the TV as well invariably just
fingerspell B-S-L when referrring to the language. In the SignMatters
article I did it as the full three signs "British Sign Language" but
this isn't usual.

Sandy