AW: [sw-l] SignWriting, Mouth Movements, and Email in foreign signed languages ;-)

Sun Aug 21 20:37:56 UTC 2005

Hi Valerie –

your explanation of all of this is just perfect!!!!

Answers to your last questions:

1. Since Mundbildschrift supports articulation, could I learn how to
pronounce German words from it, as a foreigner to the spoken language?

Yes! Your articulation would be perfect. Even if you would not know what you
are saying, a person familiar with German would be able to tell you what you
are saying. The funny aspect about this is that you would be able to read
out loud the document but the hearing person – not familiar with
Mundbildschrift wouldn’t be able to read any single word.

There is another impressing factor. Teaching my deaf students the first
words and letters and sentences in English I only use “Mundbildschrift –
documents.” So they get used to speak out loud English (ha – well might be
with my German accent – smile) Nevertheless they get accustomed to how to
pronouce the numbers, the ABC, little phrases ...

Afterwards – I show the written document – written in English – wow – they
cannot believe that they are supposed to articulate these written words in
the now familiar way. They rush back to the Mundbildschrift document to
speak English smile – but of course this way they are guided into this new
concept of how to articulate a written word if it is not a German word ...

Anyway this is an interesting experience...

2. When you read a sign in the German SignPuddle...a sign that has a lot of
Mouth Movement symbols from SignWriting on top of the sign...are we reading
Mundbilder, or Mundbildschrift?

smile...

We never read Mundbildschrift.

Mundbildschrift is associated and based on sound. You differenciate between
differet “S”- sounds, you understand that it is different to speak a “B” or
a “P”  ....

Mundbilder in der Gebaerdenschrift do not are about that. Well you can
identify an “M” or a “A”, “O”, “L”  ... and some other impressions of the
tongue and mouth – but many of them can lead to a number (!!!) of different
sounds ...

So yes – in SignPuddle or in any other German SignWriting  document  We read
“Mundbilder in der Gebaerdenschrift”

I will change the subject soon...I just want to learn how to read your
German Sign email - that is all! I am enjoying learning to read German
signs!

Thank you very much for your interest!

Stefan ;-))

  _____