email lessons

Sun Aug 21 21:34:34 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 21, 2005

---------------------

> On Aug 21, 2005, at 1:41 PM, Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
>> Perfect ! Juchuuu -- congrats - Ingvild!!

-----------------------

Hello Stefan and Ingvild!
I am finally starting to grasp what is happening here between our
different signed languages and cultures ...Mundbilder must be what we
call Mouthing...

I did not read the attached sign as EMAIL, but now that you told me
it says that, I am starting to learn your writing of
Mouthing...smile...of course that is an English word though...not so
sure about the German Mouthing smile...

Mouthing, in my terminology, means saying the word silently while
signing silently...which is not what I mean when I am talking about
the natural facial expressions of true ASL...that is different yet
again...that is what Kevin did in One Harbor. Kevin rarely does
Mouthing because he doesn't seem to think in English, although he
does Mouth a little when teaching hearing people...

And Lucinda, who is native to ASL but lives with hearing people, will
Mouth to me, and turn to Kevin and turn off the Mouthing...like
turning off a faucet! She Mouthed a great deal on the Lessons in SW
video series, and got criticized for it by other ASL signers...so in
our culture Mouthing is done, but not necessarily considered really
good ASL...

or am I wrong? Can someone who is skilled in ASL tell me if I am
right or wrong? Cultures change fast and the issue of Lucinda's
mouthing on that video series was an issue in the mid-1990s...

Can you see why I am sooo happy that you are writing the email in
your own German signs, Stefan? I am learning about your language, and
some of the issues of writing it...And I look forward to studying
more email from different countries!

No more writing to me in ASL, which is not my language...I live in
the world of international thinking...Val ;-)

PS. Here is what the terminology is, I believe:

1.GebaerdenSchrift means SignWriting.

2. Mundbilder means Mouthing.

3. Facial Expressions and ASL Mouth Movements that do not have any
connection with English words also occur in ASL, but they are not
Mouthing.

4. Mundbildschrift is a way to read the movements of the mouth while
speaking a spoken language.