Report on 1st European SignWriters Symposium.

Tue Aug 23 17:34:47 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
August 23, 2005

Barbara Pennacchi wrote:
> During this discussion, Juliette from Toulouse (France) described
> her recent experience of working for about 1 or 2 months with a
> very small group of deaf children in a bilingual school in her
> town: the aims of her project were quite similar to Kathleen's
> project, but differing in the "educative process", as Juliette
> never used PC for printing or writing SW and, to make children more
> acquainted with SW, she gave them not only reading exercises but
> also  lot of writing exercises.

Thanks for telling us this. I did not know that Juliette Dalle was
working with SignWriting. I donated SignWriting materials to Patrice
Dalle at their school in Toulouse, France, back in 1999...you can
read about it on the web in the France section..

http://www.signwriting.org/france/france.html

Is Juliette related to Patrice? They have the same last name! ;-)

And I am excited to learn of Juliette's teaching, writing by hand,
which is how the Danes and the Deaf people I worked with here in the
US started years ago...it is great because you do not have to worry
about teaching computers to your students but can really focus on
writing SignWriting itself...

Meanwhile I believe Patrice and others in France are working on
computer programs for SignWriting, so it is good to see so many
different ways of working with SignWriting there...smile...