Query on Sign Documents

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 31 01:14:55 UTC 2005

I began to have to make fine-tuned decisions between 750 signs in Libras in Brazil.  I realize that there are only 50 or so signs on the Libras Sign Puddle, but I was already thinking of layers of spelling.

Good examples, confusao (confusion) and complicado (complicated).  The only difference in the two signs is speed.  So which comes first.

http://www.signwriting.org/archive/docs1/sw0066-SW-Journal-Butler.pdf

I made decisions based on my corpus.  As SW grows, we will find more fine tunes.

Charles

Valerie Sutton <sutton at signwriting.org> wrote:
SignWriting List
August 30, 2005

On Aug 30, 2005, at 1:12 PM, Steve Slevinski wrote:
> The spelling and the sequence will not always have the same
> symbols. Simple sequences use only the symbols in the spelling.
> Detailed sequences use additional symbols not found in the
> spelling. I believe that Val has found with SignBank that simple
> sequences break down when a dictionary reaches about 500 signs.
> After that, detailed sequences are required to differentiate
> between similar signs.

Hello Steve and Charles -
Yes. This is true. I think we all need to start with the Simple
SignSpelling that you will be giving us, Steve, in SignPuddle 2.0.

Once we all get skilled in establishing the Simple SignSpellings for
each entry in SignPuddle, then later, we can test to see if the
Detailed SignSpellings will add the X-Y coordinates needed to show
the positioning of the symbols...The Detailed SignSpellings give the
kind of information that Senor Rocha was explaining in his Sign-
Matching research, but simply in a different way. We use special
Location Symbols that are in the IMWA, but not for writing, for
lookup-symbol-positioning only.

But starting with Simple SignSpellings is plenty right now...for me
too ;-)