Query on Sign Documents

Charles Butler chazzer3332000 at YAHOO.COM
Wed Aug 31 01:45:39 UTC 2005

I'm confused by your differentiation between sign spelling and sign spelling sequence.

A-T-E comes before
E-A-T comes before
T-E-A

(this is historical alphabetization)

X handshape on dominant hand with orientation 1 comes before
X handshape on dominant hand with orientation 1 with Y handshape
X handshape on dominant hand with orientation 2 comes before
X handshape on dominant hand with orientation 3

Just those four, divide out your levels to two levels.

While you cannot control "how" people create signs, they still use one sign or another, and they agree that "x handshape" in "y orientation" at "z" location is the same meaning in a given signed language.

If you add motion, and order them, even arbitrarily, you get enough differentiation for down to almost all the signs in the Libras dictionary I have.

If you add a second hand, an orientation, and then a speed, you get all the way down most signs in the current IMWA.

IF you add facial expression, you cover a lot more.  Even arbitrary is better than no order.

Charles

X-1 handshape with y orientation comes before

Steve Slevinski <slevin at signpuddle.net> wrote:
Hi Charles,

I remeber reading Senor Rocha's paper a while ago. Interesting ideas.
I'll probably read it again next year when I'm ready to tackle more
complicated searching and matching.

I do not believe that sign spellings in a document or dictionary will be
uniform from start position to finish position. We can't control how
people create signs. And I think we are mixing two different ideas that
overlap:: spelling and sequence.

Sign Spelling is symbols in space for display.

Sign Spelling Sequence is symbols in order for sorting.

The spelling and the sequence will not always have the same symbols.
Simple sequences use only the symbols in the spelling. Detailed
sequences use additional symbols not found in the spelling. I believe
that Val has found with SignBank that simple sequences break down when a
dictionary reaches about 500 signs. After that, detailed sequences are
required to differentiate between similar signs.

So your question/opinion below concerns documents and dictionaries.
Below I'll discuss ideals on how I think the software should work and
options it should provide.

Signs and dictionaries...
------------------------
Spell a sign and add it to the dictionary. The sign exists in the
dictionary, but is hard to find. You need to mark it up to make it
easier to find. You can create either a simple or detailed sequence for
sorting. You can add keywords, terms, or descriptions in a written
language for searching. You can add a video for demonstration. You can
add variants for alternate spellings of the sign. You should also be
able to add links to synonyms.

Signs and documents...
-----------------------
Document size is a concern for some, but I'm more concerned with using a
document than saving space. I would probably stuff all the information
I could into a document to make it easier to use and search and link.

The signs in the documents must contain the spelling, but they may also
contain the sequence. Signs can be linked to a dictionary sign with
timestamp for validation. It will be easy to lookup signs that are
linked to a dictionary. It should be easy to search for signs that are
not linked to a dictionary. If a sign is found, the document can be
updated. If the sign is not found, it can be added to the dictionary.

Anyway, a few random thoughts,
-Steve