USA New Research Lab, San Diego, California

Fri Dec 9 05:35:52 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
December 8, 2005

Dear SW List!
Today I went to a party...a celebration! A new research laboratory is
now established here in San Diego, at San Diego State University,
directed by Dr. Karen Emmorey. We ate good food and enjoyed seeing
the new offices, and I saw some old friends. Some of our members of
this List were there! And I gave the new lab a gift of three of our
publications...the Lessons in SignWriting DVD, the Deaf Perspectives
on SignWriting DVD and the Learn to Read ASL in SignWriting DVD. But
most important, I told some of the researchers about SignPuddle. Some
did not realize we could create signs on the web...so it was good to
discuss it. What did they like best about SignPuddle? The Symbol-
Frequency search page! Symbol-Frequency is needed for linguistic
research. That was an excellent addition to SignPuddle, Steve...So I
hope to discuss this further with the researchers after the
holidays...Here is the name of the new research lab:

Dr. Karen Emmorey
Director, Laboratory for Language and Cognitive Neuroscience
San Diego State University
6495 Alvarado Road, Suite 200
San Diego, CA 92120
Website:  http://emmoreylab.sdsu.edu

And Shannon, if you are reading this, don't forget to send me your
list of over 400 ASL verbs written in SignWriting...that will be very
valuable for the world!  It was a pleasure seeing you again!  Val ;-)

PS. Here is the SignWriting card I brought with me to the party! see
attached...