USA... Sign for ENGLISH

Thu Dec 15 18:46:16 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
December 15, 2005

> Philippe from Iowa wrote:
> I did ask someone here and we never see the second variation (going
> down).

Hello Philippe and Cherie!
I understand. And I appreciate you telling us, Philippe. Those first
two signs were written by three Deaf staff members...all from
different parts of the country...Kathy Say is from Arizona, Bonita
Ewan was from Minnesota and Alaska I believe, and Butch Zein from
Texas...they were the three that wrote the signs that are in the
SignWriter Computer Program dictionary, which were then transferred
over into the ASL SignPuddle later...and they always discussed each
sign together and oftentimes found that they had different variations
of signs...so I am not surprised that you may not know every
variation they chose, but I believe those two variations do exist
somewhere in the US...smile...Wonderful to get your feedback and keep
informing us...I bet you have some signs unique to Iowa too!