[sw-l] San Diego Union Tribune Article

Tue Feb 1 16:43:39 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 1, 2005

Five questions: Valerie Sutton

San Diego UNION-TRIBUNE

  January 31, 2005

Name: not available
Type: text/enriched
-------------- next part --------------

K.C. ALFRED / Union-Tribune

Valerie Sutton of La Jolla, a former professional ballet dancer, built
on her early work developing a notation system for recording body
movements to create SignWriting (http://www.signwriting.org), an
"alphabet" of symbols that can be used to write American Sign Language,
and SignBank (http://www.signbank.org), a database of the symbols. The
nonprofit Center for Sutton Movement Writing provides free educational
materials through the SignWriting Literacy Project.

What was the inspiration for SignWriting?

Until SignWriting, sign languages were not written languages. Sign
language is real language, different from English and with its own
grammar. It uses your whole body, almost like mime. When I was a
professional ballet dancer, I invented a way to read and write all body
movements. That led to Sutton DanceWriting, which led to the beginning
of SignWriting in 1974. Many people don't know that sign language is
not international. There are hundreds of sign languages. Because it
writes body movements, SignWriting can be used to write any sign
language in the world.

  How widespread is the use of SignWriting?

SignWriting is used in 27 countries, primarily by the educated deaf,
teachers of the deaf and researchers. Since it is relatively new, deaf
adults didn't have it in their school systems. The first pilot program
is in a school for the deaf in Albuquerque, N.M. The program is free
for any school that is using sign language.

  How did FileMaker get involved?

We have two programs, one called SignBank, a database of the
SignWriting symbols. SignBank was originally designed for the Macintosh
in 1988 in a little program called Desk Accessories. When the Mac
changed, SignBank was out of date. Dr. Penny Boyes Braem of Zurich,
Switzerland, used FileMaker Pro for her sign-language database of
mostly video. She wanted to use SignBank, so she asked if we could
convert it to FileMaker. We found a wonderful programmer, Todd Duell of
Formulations Pro, a FileMaker database company in Del Mar, to take our
old database and make it work in FileMaker Pro.

  What technology do you personally rely on?

  I have four Macs. I use Windows programs, but on the Mac. I am also
the Web designer for all my sites, from MovementWriting.org to
SymbolBank.org to SignWriting.org. I use Dreamweaver, Macromedia,
Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat.

  When you were a dancer, did you ever think you'd be so involved in
technology?

I started professional dance training at age 10. At age 15, I started
writing down the dances I was learning. I published my first textbook
on dance writing when I was 23 or 24. But I would never have foreseen
the influence of the computer. I spent a whole 10 years writing it by
hand.

  – LAUREL SCOTT
San Diego Union Tribune