[sw-l] Reading Diacritics in SignMail program...

Lucyna Dlugolecka deafie at GMX.NET
Wed Feb 2 13:06:44 UTC 2005

Val:
> So I changed my keyboard over to Polish, and then went into the
> International Name Signs Sign Puddle on the web to test it...Take a
> look....see the first sign saved there that looks like the sign for
> Germany...I gave it a test name, using the Polish keyboard, and typing
> a lot of symbols that have diacritics, and only some of them showed up
> in the name
>
> http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle/sgn-WO

Me:
It was because the ó letter is not only Polish. Btw, in Polish it is not an
accent, we don't use accents in writing. The letter ó is pronounced the same
way the letter u is ['oo' in English]. Long ago they were pronounced
differently (like short 'oo' and long 'oo') and hence is the difference in
writing. Other Polish diacritics refer to palatalization or nasalization.

Lucyna