[sw-l] Sign for Leprechaun?

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Thu Feb 3 15:30:32 UTC 2005

Sandy,

Ur idea - it may mean "forget" or "forgetful" or "quite stupid" in some
dialects.

some ISL people objected to the flicking sign and led a campaign against
this (they misunderstood it - and even so, they wont swallow the fact that
the sign is accepted in Belfast) so the sign is losing its popularity - even
so we only use that sign for something Irish, not Ireland - lately we have
moved from using a lot of English-language words into using the proper
grammar i.e. if I have a English book, I ll sign "book England theirs"

As for the cartoon leprechauns - to be honest I never grew up with that
image in me - its only when I was in England I came across a lot of that
images - like I said, it’s the Disney version - as we says here, we don’t
trust lepruchuans ;-)

(just like Halloween that was made popularised in the USA (it was an Irish
invention but never really got caught on - until the USA got hold of it -
and of course, there's the Christmas lights everywhere outside on our houses
- we started it off and the USA popularised it and then we do it better -
its so bad...)

Shane