[sw-l] the mini-conference or seminar in Brussels

Thu Feb 10 02:52:36 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 9, 2005

Did you know that SignWriting was first developed in Denmark, and it
was the Danish School System that tried SignWriting in the schools
first, back in the 1980's?...I think it would be great to invite some
of those teachers to the SignWriting Seminar in Europe this
summer...The teachers in Denmark were using a full stick figure when
writing in SignWriting, and now they use SignWriting in interpreter
training, and for parents of Deaf children, but not necessarily for the
young Deaf children - don't ask me why - that is simply the way it has
been since 1990, but it may be that this SignWriting Seminar might
stimulate the Danes to look back and perhaps re-stimulate their
interest...if nothing more it will be interesting for them to see the
new ways that SignWriting is now used in other countries in Europe...so
here are the names of some of the SignWriting experts in
Denmark...Bente Sparrevohn did a book in the 1980's in pure SignWriting
that I feel is a masterpiece. She transcribed Deaf storytelling and it
was so visually written - she was the first to capture Deaf
storytelling in SignWriting history...Would you like to see Bente's
book? I will be glad to scan some pages for you if you wish...so I
really think it would be great to contact Bente to see if she would
want to come?...smile...and then Karen Albertsen, Britta Hansen and Ole
Faustrup are other names...

DENMARK

Teacher Bente Sparrevohn
Skolen på Kastelsvej