[sw-l] LESSONS SignWriting Symbols

Mon Feb 14 19:23:19 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 14, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> Well - here we are back again at my little quiz about different
> options for the sign for brussels - There is no difference in
> performance but a different writing! The interesting question would be
> - does the brain have to work more on the one or the other in order to
> check out the meaning? I would believe that the third position in
> Number 1 is much easier to identify ;-)  So most of the time I use
> this point of view - if possible

Hello Everyone, and Stefan!
Yes. You are right. I am clarifying why there are two possible ways to
write the position of the hand facing the chest...The third positions
mean EXACTLY the same thing. The palm is facing the chest. Number 1 is
seen from the Front View and Number 5 from the Top View, but they are
writing the SAME position...So writers have a choice in SignSpellings,
based on different viewpoints...continued next message...