[sw-l] LESSONS SignWriting Symbols

Tue Feb 15 04:29:19 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 14, 2005

Tini Pel wrote:
> I have trouble understanding the  symbol at  the bottom of # 2. the
> hand is
> level with the floor, right? So there should be a space?

Hello Tini...
Remember the movement arrows? The double-stemmed arrows are parallel
with the Front Wall, and the single stemmed arrows are parallel with
the Floor? So we have two kinds of arrows...relating to the Wall and
the Floor.

Well that is what is happening with the hands...Number 2 is the Wall
Plane, and Number 5 is the Floor Plane. The Wall Plane is seen from the
Front View, and the Floor Plane is seen from the Top View. And the
space is ONLY used for the Top View...it is our marker, telling us that
if there is a space, we are looking on top of the hand...