[sw-l] LESSONS in Finger Movements

Wed Feb 16 21:08:54 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
February 16, 2005

Stefan Wöhrmann wrote:
> The difference? hinge – one or all fingers as a unit - vs.
> ....fingerthrill – fingers move not in a unit but differently up and
> down –
> Still in trouble for fingerthrill – if only one arrow on top of the
> other – I only use two or four (smile!) in my documents.
> Two – if index and middle fingers move “against” each other --  four
> –if all four fingers move alternating ... My advice for my workshop
> participants: Try to find a typical example that can be associated
> with any handshape-symbol and any  single symbol that you want to
> understand in this case: bird – vs – go or in German DGS   How many,
> computer, piano, “have you got” ...

Good questions and good points, Stefan! Thanks for this message, and we
will be going over examples from the Flemish Sign Language Dictionary
and Goldilocks shortly...

Your answer is correct...the symbols to the left are moving up and down
together, as a unit. We call that Hinge Movement. The symbols on the
right are showing Alternating, Trembling or Trill Finger
Movements...They require at least two fingers to alternate. Trill
Movement Symbols cannot be placed over one finger...They must be placed
over two or more fingers...That determines which fingers are doing the
Trill movement. Then there are single, double, triple Trills. I will be
answering your question about the single Trill within the next few
messages...so hold on...it is coming!!  Val ;-)