[sw-l] non-deaf people and mouthing

Adam Frost icemandeaf at YAHOO.COM
Fri Feb 25 21:35:28 UTC 2005

Hi all,

This whole discussion about Deaf mouthing in their native language is quite interesting. I only knew a little about it in other countries. In the US, however, Val is correct. You aren't considered a good ASL signer if you mouth English words. This is because ASL has a completely different syntax then English, and ASL has it's own mouthing. CHA, PAH, PING, TH, MMM, a "tongue wag", and a "lip lap" to name a few. Each have their own meaning that improve the quality of the sentence. It takes people years to realize the difference between ASL mouthing and English mouthing. The reason is that Deaf Americans hated oralism from the beginning. I have videos of Deaf signers over a hundred years ago, and they never moved their mouth because it was not culturally accepted to be "oral." Just a quick spill that I needed to say before I have to go to a meeting. If needed I will talk more about this. ;-) (Sometimes it helps to have a Deaf native signers point of view.)

Adam

Shane Gilchrist � hEorpa <shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at francismaginn.org> wrote:
Val,

We have a lot of non-deaf people who can sign fluently - as some deafies ll
say "oh they sign like a deaf person!" which is a bit unfair as there are a
lot of deaf people who mouth almost every word in English.

My non-deaf mother mouth quite well in NISL whereas Dad mouth in English
(which is confusing) - but its cos Mam had Agnes Carberry, a very good NISL
teacher as her teacher AND her good mate.

I believe non-deaf signers CAN mouth in ASL/NISL/BSL/VGT/DGS/PJM as good if
not better as deaf fluent signers :-)

Shane