[sw-l] Re: Thesis -- more than anecdotal

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sat Feb 26 14:08:06 UTC 2005

James,

We do need to develop a publicity or political lobbying group for that -
another reason why I ll want to do the European conference on SW.

And there's so much misinformation about the Sutton System out there - there
are 3 systems out there - the Sutton one, the Stokoe notation system and the
HamNoSys - my friend, a linguist herself, think the Sutton system is the
easiest one because it's quite "child-like and simple" YET SHE HAVENT TRIED
IT HERSELF so she cannot be the expert on that but other linguists who
ACTUALLY tried the 3 systems said that the Sutton System is more difficult
to use for people whose first language isn't sign language whereas the
Stokoe and HamNoSys are designed for people whose first language isn't a
signed language.

Right now, many European Sign linguists tend to go for HamNoSys cos it's a
European thingy - there are some who will go for the Stokoe system - but
even a smaller group go for it.

That's why it's important for us to raise the profile of SignWriting - for
instance the CDS Dublin at www.centrefordeafstudies.com

Shane