AW: [sw-l] Re: Thesis -- more than anecdotal- research on SW as a tool to learn

Sun Feb 27 00:10:14 UTC 2005

Hello Ingvild,

well I studied your message with great interest.
I am not quite sure but I am afraid that there are so many different aspects
that may cause an effect on different outcomes that it is almost impossible
to match a group of deaf children  to another in the way that you seriously
can speak of an effect of the teaching method (with or without SignWriting)

Looking at my students they are from different cultural background - one
family German -
All of them did not get in contact with Sign Language until they became 6/7
years old. (So they grew up without any (!!!) language.)
Some of them got a Cochlea Implant.
Some of the children seem to develop residual hearing abilities over time.
Some of them are living during the week at a dormitory next to our school.
Some of them come by bus (one girl 90 minutes one way!) every morning.
Some of them are in contact with deaf children in the afternoon - others are
isolated.
Some parents are interested in their children progress regarding Literacy
None of the parents started to achieve SL-skills.
Some of the parents earn not enough money to make it on their own.

Other parameters -
How many teachers are involved ?
How many different subjects are taught.
How to measure the individual competence, energy of the teacher ...
What are the ideas of success at school?
How many hours do the children learn language-skills - and which method -
oral - bilingual - SW -handwriting - focusing on reading - translating -
focus on maths or language -
What about the level of SL-competence among the teachers?
Age of SL-competence -

I - myself - felt so lucky when I heard about the Nicaraguan experience
using SignWriting at school. It was so obvious to me that it should be such
a great support - that I could not hesitate one minute but started to learn
as much as possible about that.

I do not believe that any teacher, any deaf SL-instructor or any father or
mother of a deaf child could be pushed to use a tool that he/she is not
convinced of. I think that there is no reason to try to persuade anybody
that we have found a wonderful, wonderful tool unless people show up with
their need and questions to express SL in a written form. There is no reason
to fight a battle of comparing HamNoSys to SW or Stokoe
(by the way I could not find one single story written in HamNoSys or Stokoe
or any other Writing System)
If people are happy with their instrument - if they do not miss anything -
why should we make them feel upset, insecure, angry ... No !

That is the reason that I am pretty much sceptic about any kind of
questionaire - asking people about their opinion "What do you think about
SignWriting?" if they still are convinced that SL is a language without a
written form.

Stefan ;-)