[sw-l] non-deaf people and mouthing

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Sun Feb 27 16:42:10 UTC 2005

Trevor,

> > These full BSL signers use very few English lip patterns -
>
> Around London BSL has more lipped words than is apparent elsewhere.
> However, this may reflect the influence of certain oralist schools located
> close to London rather than being a true feature of the language.

More disunited the deaf community is, more "oral" it is ;-) - London's deaf
community is the most disunited group in Deaf England unfortunately :( - and
there is no central deaf clubs - and until now, there used to be several
different dialects in London's BSL - but there is an attempt to bring back
the Margate dialect (as it was the "London School" at Old Kent Road before
the relocation to Margate)

Me best mate used to sign in a mixture of the Margate signs and Yorkshire
signs as his dad went to Margate and his mother went to Doncaster - the
Margate signs still make me laugh - especially the sign for "cucumber" or
"girl" - but it amazes me to see a Deaf Londoner (my best mates father) not
to mouth much in English - that is a very rare case unfortunately in London.

:o

Shane