[sw-l] SignWriting Report, January 10, 2005

Mon Jan 10 17:27:03 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 10, 2005

My dear friends -
Thank you for your recent communication with me! I am sorry for my
silence. I am happy to tell you that as SignWriting is spreading around
the world, our web sites have doubled in hits and visitors. There are
several software developers working on new computer programs for
SignWriting. Why have I been so silent lately? Because I am working on
a more complete IMWA, version 1.1. I hope you will be able to use it by
the end of January, in the SignMaker program on SignPuddle on the web:

SignPuddle
http://www.SignBank.org/signpuddle

For those who are new to the SignWriting List, the IMWA is the
International Movement Writing Alphabet, also called Sutton Movement
Writing, which is a general movement notation system that can write all
body movement...dance, sports, signed languages, mime,
gesture...anything that moves, we can write:

Movement Writing
http://www.MovementWriting.org

But...until now, only some of the symbols were available by
computer...so the first version of the IMWA, version 1.0, did not have
ALL symbols available...and we needed the symbols that were missing...

With the new IMWA 1.1, we will be able to prepare Sign poetry and Deaf
storytelling documents, because the full arms and legs of the stick
figure will be available to you...

By next week, when the IMWA 1.1 is finalized, I will be back in full
communication mode... Thank you for your patience...and thanks for the
great photos of Deaf children using SignWriting around the world...I
look forward to posting them on the web...and thank you to James
Shepard Kegl for your documents, which also will be posted on the
web...plus thanks to Poland, for your documents, to Belgium and
Switzerland and Albuquerque, New Mexico, to French-Canada, and to
Germany...My email in-box is a treasure trove of inspirational messages
and attachments!

Have a wonderful week everyone...

Sutton at SignWriting.org