[sw-l] SOFTWARE: Still working on IMWA 1.1

Tue Jan 18 12:17:41 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 18, 2005

Hello Everyone, and Stuart -
Your messages are so great! I am amazed at your depth of understanding
of so many issues, Stuart, and especially about Unicode...I just pulled
an all-nighter for the second time (I was up all night without ever
going to bed)...I just cleaned the IMWA 1.1 for a second time...Stephen
found some problems and I went in and tried to make some of the symbols
more consistent, and it was a good idea to do this...It is better today
than it was on Friday. The IMWA 1.1 has 25,973 little symbols pieces.
Some of them are just different size arm lines, and different size
finger lines, for those people who want to construct their own
symbols...Just as we can construct new handshapes in SignWriter
DOS...well all those little finger pieces are in the IMWA 1.1 now...so
when it comes to Unicode there are some symbols towards the end of the
IMWA that are not for signed languages at all...they are more for
drawing, and for writing dance to music notes etc etc...so that was why
I thought maybe we should do a smaller symbolset in Unicode, but as
soon as the new IMWA is up on SignPuddle I look forward to going
through some of the newly added symbols with you all...some of the
symbols I added go back as far as 1975 and 1978, when two DanceWriting
textbooks were published...We now have the Head Rotation symbols...like
when you are doing African folk dances where the head does extreme
circles very very fast...We also have the hip and shoulder rotation
symbols...turning symbols...but most important...we have the full stick
figure capability...some feet...but more feet and toes will come later
this year...So I am going to lie down a little and calm down...it is
strange...when I am up all night I get a little giddy in the
morning...giddy means a little "light-headed" or even a little
confused...so that is a good signal to go to bed - ha!  Talk to you all
soon -  Have a great day!! Val ;-)