[sw-l] BSL & English

Shane Gilchrist Ó hEorpa shane.gilchrist.oheorpa at FRANCISMAGINN.ORG
Wed Jan 19 10:02:53 UTC 2005

Kathleen,

Gestuno isn’t working – and we have International Signs but many people are
not happy with it (if used for deeper discussions) – both lacks in grammar.

Esperanto didn’t really take off – there is a large movement out there who
is trying to make it workable – but in the realistic time period, it wont be
possible unless the European Commission have done something about it so
you’re right, Kathleen, re: having languages forced on us.

But if we won’t do something about it, ASL will become the working language
of the EU (yes, we know ASL came from LSF: French Sign Language) but its not
even a native language to the EU.

Glad to know you know the BSL alphabet – next time we meet, please use the
BSL ‘h’ instead of the VGT ‘h’ ;-) – too bad as VGT is a VERY MUCH gorgeous
language

Shane

  _____