[sw-l] Improved SignMaker, please review

Wed Jan 19 20:08:19 UTC 2005

SignWriting List
January 19, 2005

Bill Reese wrote:
> Also, when selecting face symbols, the Mirror, Fill, Rotate CCW,
> Rotate CW commands all provide variations whereas the Variation
> command does nothing.  I'm sure this has to way these are encoded.
> Perhaps they need a separate subroutine to handle their specific
> encoding?  I did notice that while some symbols have a mirror
> component (a face with only the left eye, could be mirrored as a face
> with only the right eye) there are no rotations or fills for these -
> although you could say that the head can be slightly rotated either
> left or right for some signs.

These are some of the issues, Bill, which will get resolved sometime in
2005. As you know, I did not finish the IMWA...I know I know...I hate
hearing that myself! But it is true. The 1.1 is better than 1.0, but
the future 1.2 will be better yet... I handed Stephen a very difficult
job and some of the problems are related to the way I entered the
symbols, because we have used these symbols with different computer
programs over many years, and each computer program solved the problems
differently, and so the symbols were entered differently in different
computer programs depending on the programmer and their
requirements...so I hope I can make a better IMWA in 1.2 that maybe
won't be so complicated for future programmers...Stephen is helping me
with that...Thanks for your input!  Val ;-)